Terrific Kids > Lead > Parents > Parent tips
Supporting your Terrific Kid
Welcome Kiwanis Kids parents! Your child currently is participating in the Kiwanis Kids character-education program known as Terrific Kids. This program helps students attain important leadership skills. Participants learn the Terrific Kids character traits and how to establish and achieve “SMART” goals, goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely.
We need your help in exposing participants in this program to character education.
Here are some ways you can help.
- Read the Terrific Kids materials to your child and make sure he or she understands the concept of Terrific Kids and how recognition is attained.
- Help your child establish goals with the SMART goal worksheet.
- If your child has selected a goal, learn about the goal and reinforce his or her achievement of this goal.
- Brainstorm with your child to develop a list of techniques to achieve the selected goal.
- Communicate with the teacher and ask questions about your child’s progress.
- Talk about the Terrific Kids character traits and set a good example by modeling the character traits.
- When you and your child observe situations that result in individuals not practicing good character and good citizenship, use this as a teaching opportunity.
- When your child is recognized as a Terrific Kid, display recognition materials.
- If your child is not recognized, discuss why and how to do things differently to attain the goal within the next time period.
- Praise your child’s efforts and progress.
- Read books to your child about practicing good citizenship and good character. Visit Free Spirit’s Website www.freespirit.com to find amazing books about this topic.
Character education resources